We currently have one open post-doctoral position in microbiology. Details below.
We also have multiple BSc and MSc research project/thesis topics in bioinformatics, microbiology and molecular biology. We alse are keen to support external funding applications. Get in touch for more details.
Two-year post-doctoral fellowship in Microbial Genomics — Lund University, Sweden
Deadline: February 1, 2022 or until position is filled
Start date: As soon as possible, Before July 2022
Stipend details: 300 000 kr/year (untaxed)
How do eukaryotes live in low-oxygen environments?
Living without oxygen is hard. Some microorganisms rely on co-operation – or symbiosis – to survive in anaerobic environments. These symbiotic interactions are based on syntrophy (i.e., a type of mutualistic symbiosis where nutrients are exchanged between organisms to allow for metabolic division of labour). Such interactions are essential drivers of biogeochemical processes like global carbon, nitrogen, and sulphur cycling. Whether similar roles can be attributed to single-cell eukaryotes (protists) occupying these environments remains unclear owing in large part to our limited understanding of the biology, syntrophic potential, and metabolism of anaerobic eukaryotes.
We’re looking for a post-doctoral fellow who will develop single-cell sequencing techniques to investigate the genomic and transcriptomic potential of individual eukaryotic cells and their resident microbial partners isolated from anaerobic environments. These data will be used to approximate metabolic interactions between the organisms.
The prospective post-doctoral fellow will be hosted by Dr. Courtney Stairs with support of the Carl-Tryggers Stiftelsen in the Biology Department at Lund University, Sweden. For more information about the lab, visit www.thelabupstairs.online or reach out to Courtney at Courtney.email@example.com (Twitter: @cstairs).
- PhD in Biology, Molecular Biology, Genomics, Microbiology or related discipline within the last 6 years (PhDs awarded more than 6 years ago due to career breaks will also be considered however must be indicated in the CV or cover letter);
- Documented experience in laboratory techniques;
- Documented ability in nucleic acid extraction, next-generation sequencing;
- A good track record of publishing peer-reviewed academic papers;
- Evidence of ability to organize resources, plan and progress work activities, and meet deadlines effectively and consistently; and
- Ability to communicate scientific results and knowledge to non-specialists and students
- Funding has been secured by Dr. Courtney Stairs;
- 300000 SEK/year administered directly to the fellow from the Carl Tryggers Foundation more details can be found here (Category 1 “Postdoc grants” https://www.carltryggersstiftelse.se/this-is-the-carl-trygger-foundation/) for two years
How to apply:
- Two page cover letter outlining your past research experience and why you are interested in this position
- Two page CV
- List of publications
Start date: As soon as possible. Deadline for applications February 1, 2022.